– Engage in Research! – Submit an excellent Essay! – Win a valuable Prize (worth of £100)! –
We welcome essays in the areas of EU Law, Private and Commercial Law and Public International Law. The essays should be of approximately 3,500 words and they should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 14th, 2009.
All taught and research postgraduate law students are eligible to participate provided that they have not graduated by the time of the deadline of submission.
Essays will be assessed on the basis of excellence and depth of analysis, of critical thought, of evidence of extensive reading and of superior understanding of the issue.
The winners in each subject area will be chosen and proclaimed in the beginning of March 2009 and a celebratory event will be held shortly afterwards.
The prizes to be won are book vouchers of up to £100.
Participants are free to define their own specific topics within the given areas. However, we encourage you to include a dimension of critical consideration, e.g. of the role that law does and should play in your chosen subject or the effectiveness of the legal norms to grasp and solve particular problems.
For instance (by way of example):-
• Democratic control (e.g. Given the large-scale effect of EU Law on domestic law and thus on European citizens is there sufficient democratic participation within the EU regime?)
• Institutions (e.g. What is the role of the ECJ in promoting and enforcing the four fundamental freedoms?)
• Legal regime (e.g. Is there a need for a European constitution and what should it look like?)
Private and Commercial Law
• Contract law
• Tort law
• E.g. the concept of pure economic loss: Discuss the issue with respect to a particular area of law, such as insurance law, company law, oil/gas law.
Public International Law
• Human rights (e.g. universalism, effective implementation)
• Use of force (e.g. UN Charter law and customary law)
• International criminal law
In the spirit of a community of young researchers we are looking forward to your essays!
The LRS organizing committee